Close

Loading tweet...
Search:

HEALTH AND WELLBEING

Here at Shiplake College we pride ourselves on being kind and embrace our three core values of Inclusive, Individual and Inspirational. As part of this work, we are pleased to launch our very own HWB platform. HWB, which stands for Health and Wellbeing, is a central point of contact for students to seek support and guidance from managing stress, seeking support for mental health, mindfulness and seeking advice on matters such as sexual orientation, gender identity and much more.

Students can email the HWB at [email protected] and a member of the team will triage the email and provide support and guidance to our students. In addition to trained staff members, HWB is also pleased to have the support of our college Chapel Wardens who can provide peer listening and support. It is a fantastic facility and one we are extremely proud of.

The Wellbeing Hub

Creating an environment that nurtures pupil mental health and wellbeing is a key priority for us at Shiplake. To help us do this, we have invested in partnering with The Wellbeing Hub, developed by child and adolescent mental health and wellbeing experts, Teen Tips. As a Shiplake parent you are entitled to free access, and we highly recommend you take the opportunity to register and start using these resources. Please click on the Shiplake-specific link below to register for access to The Wellbeing Hub resources: https://club.teentips.co.uk/register/parents/?ca=d0bc5732781ab09d475c6c146b27e03e

Mental Health First Aiders

Here at Shiplake we have several trained Mental Health First Aiders. These staff are able to listen and signpost students in the direction of support and help. They are also able to offer ideas to help students manage their wellbeing and mood. Students are able to contact them directly via email.

Mr Andrew Jones (Orchard Housemaster) [email protected]

Mr Paul Jones (Deputy Headteacher) [email protected]

Revd Becky Medlicott (School Chaplain) [email protected]

Mr Tom Crisford (Lower School Housemaster) [email protected]

Wellbeing and Mindfulness

Teaching our students in mindfulness and wellbeing is something that is a key focus here at the College. Each of our houses has posters and details of mindfulness techniques that students can use to help manage the everyday stresses and challenges. From deep breathing, listening to music or the circle of control. Building on this we also have a wellbeing group which is ran by students who look to trial new techniques and share their ideas with the wider school community.

The wellbeing group meet on a Friday during co-curricular slots and is open to all students to sign up.

Their top five tips for mindfulness are:

• Creating a playlist consisting of 7 songs that uplift you and make you feel happy.
  • Mindfulness colouring in for 15 minutes
  • Walking and exercise to release powerful endorphins
  • Taking a deep breath and noticing 5 things around you and focussing on them, what can you see, feel, smell or touch
  • Committing random acts of kindness each day, this is proven to change your mood, make you appreciate others around you and in turn you will feel happier in yourself

Reach Out You’re Never Alone

Students at times school can feel lonely and our worries can begin to grow. Remember you are never alone, if you need support or guidance in addition to your tutors, pastoral leaders and housemasters remember you can always email [email protected] and we will be able to listen and provide help and support.

HWB Drop-In Sessions 2024/2025

These sessions take place at break time in the Harrison Room (Skipwith House). They are drop-in sessions so no need to book, simply turn up enjoy a drink and a snack and talk to the Chapel Wardens.

• Friday 18 October
  • Friday 15 November
  • Friday 17 January
  • Friday 7 March
  • Friday 2 May
  • Friday 13 June
Other Agencies

Childline 0800 1111

Shiplake College's Independent Listener: Jo Cooke ([email protected])

Samaritans – 116 123

Mind (Support for Mental Health) 0300102 1234

Switchboard (Supporting LGBTQ+ Adolescents and Young People) 0800 0119 10